It didn't seem like such a hard thing to do.

I use a bunch of different web browsers, depending on what I'm doing -
Dillo, Firefox and Elinks are the main ones. I like to keep bookmarks
synchronised between them. I also like to keep the master copy of the
bookmarks in a plain text file which I can edit over SSH whenceever I
happen to be.

They all use different formats, of course, so I have a program which
generates them all from the master file. None of this was a problem
(apart from the firefox magic moving config directory, which as a
security measure is rather like trying to hide your syphilitic sores
with a DayGlo[tm] green adhesive plaster)... until now.

I should like to find the person who decided that since "bookmarks" and
"history" were both lists of URLs they ought to be integrated in a
single database. I should like to shake him warmly by the throat until
his head comes off.

Every other bookmark system has a simple mapping: title X, url Y. All in
one place. But no, no, that's too simple, too "it might actually work".
Now I have to insert the title in table A (as well as its position in
the current menu, something which oddly enough you don't have to do with
a FORMAT THAT PRESERVES ORDER), and then check the URL to see if it
already exists in table B... and if it doesn't, table B gets a new entry
with THE TITLE AGAIN (that "integration" is looking a bit shaky now),
and the url, AND THE URL'S HOST REVERSED.

Ia! Shub-Firefox! The Black Goat of the Internet with a Thousand
Threads!

(Yes, of _course_ the code is now working. What do you take me for?)