1. libtool

   nuf said

2. GNU gcc

   up to and including 3.4.6 you only needed GNU gcc source code to
   build gcc. With a little bit of persistence, it would even be
   possible to build gcc starting with another ANSI C-compiler, e.g.
   HP-UX C-ANSI-C.

   Now with gcc-4, it depends on GMP and MPFR

   That already sucks big time, as neither is fun to build with
   anything other than gcc, which you do not have (yet).

   Now with gcc-4.5 a third dependency was added: MPC, which is NOT
   available from the GNU ftp sites.

I tried (on HP-UX 11.31) to build a 64bit gmp with gcc-4.2.4 I managed
to build a long time back. Installed that, used it to build mpfr. So
far so good. A few warnings that my gcc was too old. Yeah of course it
is! If you make it close to impossible to stay recent, people
eventually give up. Even the official HP Porting Center stooped after
GNU gcc-4.2.3!

After these two, I fount MPC, built and installed it and lo-and-behold,
to no surprise gcc-4.5.0 was not able to pass configuration.

Start again, now in 32bit mode ...

GMP, MPFR and MPC got installed, and gcc didn't.

Next plan: try to build a recent enough gcc to build 4.5.0.

gcc-4.4.3? No, Fail
gcc-4.3.4? No, Fail 32bit issues.

Restart, build the startup trio with HP C-ANSI-C in 64bit mode

GMP comes halfway and then fails in a gcc-ism.

Let me cheat: compile that single object with gcc -mlp64
success.

make

Fail, as they use libtool, they seem to be unable to see that this
compile was already done. They don't check on .o, but on vague and
useless .lo files. SHOOT LIBTOOL TO HELL!

I give up.

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl      Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using 5.00307 through 5.12 and porting perl5.13.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,