man scons says:

       -h, --help
              Print a local help message for this build, if one is defined  in
              the SConscript file(s), plus a line that describes the -H option
              for command-line option help.   If  no  local  help  message  is
              defined,  prints  the  standard  help message about command-line
              options.  Exits after displaying the appropriate message.

OK, lets try that:

    $ scons --help
    scons: Reading SConscript files ...
    scons version: 2.0.1
    python version: 2 7 1 'final' 0
    Checking whether the C++ compiler worksyes
    Checking for C library stdc++... yes
    Checking for C++ header file pcrecpp.h... no
    can't find pcre

Yes, right, thank you.

I'm not sure whose fault this hateful incompetence is - the authors of scons,
or the authors of the package's SConstruct file. But, frankly, I don't care.
What is the point of having the ability to have local help information, if
it's not possible to read it unless you meet the package prerequisites?
Which, you know, might be why I'm looking for help.

Nicholas Clark