About the issue you were raising, it's a bit different than what you described.

If you try disabling a table that still has split parents in .META.,
those parents will be put in the regionsInTransitions list and marked
as closing... but they won't be closed since they are offline already.
It's when you re-enable that table that it may mess things up a bit,
nothing a restart can't fix (I didn't dig that far in my testing).

J-D