You don't need 0.17 to use the scripts mentioned in the EC2 wiki page. Just grab contrib/ec2 from the 0.17.0 branch.

as for images, you will need to update the image/create-hadoop-remote bash script to download and install hbase.

and update hadoop-init to start it with the proper properties.

once you look at these scripts, it should be fairly obvious what you need to do.

then just run 'create-image' command to stuff this new image into one of your buckets.

enjoy
ckw