The speed gains will be shocking.  Right now you can expect a 5-100x speed
increase, and soon it will be more like 10-20-200x.

I found with 0.19 there was a 200ms floor in my tests, and 0.20 so far has
blown past that.  There is HBASE-1304 still in progress which is showing
much promise.  Please stay tuned!

These are very exciting times for hbase... Soon HBase will be no SPOF apart
from HDFS, and performant as well.

If you are feeling brave, try hadoop 0.20 and hbase-trunk.  Standard
developer-preview type caveats apply, support is semi-limited since the bug
you might have is already being rewritten.

Having said that, I use HBase 0.20-trunk in production.  I'm also a
committer, so YMMV.

Good luck!
-ryan