Lucas,

Your table is "missing" because the edits in the META table aren't flush, in
0.20 we "fix" this by setting a very small maximum memcache size on both
ROOT and META tables so that the edits go to disk often. If all the nodes in
your cluster are shutdown at the same moment, another problem that happens
is that the region servers logs won't be processed by the Master.

J-D