Your log would seem to say that there are no tables in hbase:

2009-10-26 11:40:13,984 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.BaseScanner:
RegionManager.metaScanner scan of 0 row(s) of meta region {server:
10.245.82.160:60020, regionname: .META.,,1, startKey: <>} complete

Do as Jon suggests.  Do you see listing of regions?  If so, it would seem
that edits to .META. table are not persisting on your s3 hdfs.   You might
be able to add in all tables using the bin/loadtable.rb script; it reads the
.regioninfo files in all regions and per region adds to .META. an entry.

St.Ack