Naresh,

> How many regions are created after splitting the one region ?

Two.

> Do all the split regions remain on the same node that hosted the first region?

One half remains on the same node. The other is closed and released for
reassignment. Depending on the number of nodes and current cluster loading
conditions, the master may assign the region back to the same node or reassign
to another.

If there is insufficient data in a region to make a two way split, if the
region is read only, or if the compaction/split thread is already working on
the region, the request will be ignored, for that region.

   - Andy