It will save you a lot of trouble since by default the version of a
cell is set to System.currenTimeInMillis by the region server. Let's
say you delete a value, the region gets reassigned minutes later to
another region server which is running 60 minutes in the past and then
you do a Get on that cell with default ts. This will translate to a
time before the previous delete so you will get a deleted cell back
(unless a major compaction was run).

So a minor clock skew is ok but more than 20 minutes is asking for
trouble. This requirement is documented in the Getting Started.

J-D