I'm always sorry to hear someone move on from HBase.  While we do the
best we can, many of the core devs are focused on a deployed multi
node linux cluster.  For local work, I can boot hbase into standalone
mode with:
bin/start-hbase.sh

on my mac, or on a linux system.  Considering the only dependency is
java, it should be trivial to also support any java hosting platforms.
 The current system is very shell script heavy, hence the cygwin
requirement.  I think it would be possible to provide a runnable jar,
that could be run via:  java -jar hbase.jar and boots a single
node/single jvm thing.  Perhaps someone will do the work to create a
spi.

Also perhaps you could explain why the hbase Java API is hard for
windows programmers?

As for the mongodb, perhaps we'll see you again when you need
scalability.  Here is an interesting comment on the scalability of
dispatched sharding: http://twitter.com/alexdong/statuses/9656826055

Good luck out there!
-ryan