The last time I checked the Rackspace instance types had less disk. For example
the 8192 MB option has 320 GB of disk. For roughly the same price and RAM on
EC2 you get 840 GB of instance storage (m1.large). Presumably for a
HBase/Hadoop deployment, storage capacity is a top concern.

And note that you have an access headache really only because you eschew
connectors (either Stargate (REST) or the Thrift one).

   - Andy