> From: Michael Segel

> Imagine you have a cloud of 100 hadoop nodes.
> In theory you could create multiple instances of HBase on
> the cloud.
> Obviously I don't think you could have multiple region
> servers running on the same node.
> The use case I was thinking about if you have a centralized
> hadoop cloud and you wanted to have multiple developer
> groups sharing the cloud as a resource rather than building
> their own clouds.

This is somewhat like HOD
(http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/hod_user_guide.html). Have you
looked at that?

> The reason for the multiple hbase instances is that you
> don't have a way of setting up multiple instances like
> different Informix or Oracle databases/schemas on the same
> infrastructure.

Right.

Well there is a simple (and under development, lightly tested as yet, etc.)
multiuser mode in Stargate that gives multiple users each the illusion of a
private HBase instance while sharing a common HBase cluster underneath. This is
something I'll continue to work on as I have time.

Also my employer is sponsoring development of HBASE-1697, and integration of
HBase into the secure version of Hadoop (http://bit.ly/75011o) that Yahoo is
working on. For example HBase would offer RBAC and might also use HDFS block
tokens in a manner that allows you to reason about user isolation down through
the whole stack.

salesforce.com is a multitenant service built on a shared database
infrastructure. They've talked about their rationale for building their SaaS
service this way. It's worth it to Google a bit to find it and read.
Partitioning cloud resources increases management complexity and reduces the
benefit of the cloud -- the efficiencies of scale. It's technically possible to
partition cloud resources but economically inefficient and suboptimal to do so.

   - Andy