The CIFTI standard space is in MNI space (subcortical voxels).  If you use the surface ${StudyFolder}/${SubjectID}/MNINonLinear/fsaverage_LR32k/${SubjectID}.${Hemisphere}.midthickness.32k_fs_LR.surf.gii, then you will have surface coordinates in MNI space as well.

As for the question about diffusion data, you're going to need to be more specific because I don't know what you are trying to do.

Peace,

Matt.

From: Timothy Coalson <tsc...@mst.edu>
Date: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 4:11 PM
To: Huang Su-Chun <claire0...@gmail.com>
Cc: "hcp-users@humanconnectome.org" <hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] Coordinate of CIFTI files

The volume space that should be used to turn the indices into an XYZ location is in the Volume XML element, which in cifti 1.0 is a child of the Matrix element (ignore the "TransformedSpace" attribute, we don't use it or set it to anything different depending on the space).  The meaning of the XYZ coordinates depends entirely on how the cifti file was generated - just like any volume file, it is possible to set any coordinate system you want.  I believe the cifti files we release in the hcp data have voxels in MNI space via FNIRT.

For completeness, cifti files do not contain the surface coordinates, you must get those from the relevant surface file (.surf.gii in the hcp data).

Tim