>From the .dtd on https://www.nitrc.org/projects/gifti/, I see this:

      Endian       (BigEndian |
                    LittleEndian)  #REQUIRED

>From GIFTI_Surface_Format.pdf on the same site (which also echos the above
on page 7), it looks like line breaks are also implicitly forbidden:

"The second encoding, Base64Binary (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3548.txt or
http://email.about.com/cs/standards/a/base64_encoding.htm), encodes binary
data into a sequence of ASCII characters."

>From http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3548.txt:

   Implementations MUST NOT not add line feeds to base encoded data
   unless the specification referring to this document explicitly
   directs base encoders to add line feeds after a specific number of
   characters.

I think nibabel needs to change how it writes gifti files.

Tim