164k also does not exist in FreeSurfer formats so you would have to write your own conversion back.

From: Satrajit Ghosh <sa...@mit.edu>
Date: Thursday, September 4, 2014 at 10:14 AM
To: Matt Glasser <glass...@wusm.wustl.edu>
Cc: "Marcus, Dan" <dmar...@wustl.edu>, "hcp-users@humanconnectome.org" <hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] freesurfer directory structure for 32k average

thank you matt and michael,

the 164k surface is fine. as long as something is there that allows us to register our data to the average space, at least most of my present needs would be met.

also, as anderson noted, we all have various tools that work with the freesurfer directory structures and formats. while other tools are being adapted/extended to NIFTI/GIFTI/CIFTI both for data conversion and visualization, it will let us continue to use our existing tools on the average surface.

cheers,

satra