Dear Georgos, Francesco, and all,

I think both problems are now resolved.

Georgos pointed out an error in the use of a gradiometer montage, which
helped.
Finally, using the structure of the empty-room noise covariance when
normalising signal power seems to remove any of the unusual structure in
the resting-state power profiles.

i.e. Computing source power maps with
trace(weights * datacov * weights') ./ trace(weights * noisecov * weights')

Many thanks for the help.

Giles