As you have found, the Workbench source code is very big and complex.
Modifying Workbench to add additional visualization and interaction techniques
will be an extremely difficult task.  You may be better off writing your own
user-interface and visualization software possibly linking to the
non-visualization parts of the Workbench source code that read the various data
files.

There is no plugin interface for Workbench and, at this time, there are no
plans for a plugin interface.

John Harwell