To get a dconn loaded in matlab, you of course need to have a large amount
of available memory.  Freezing is what I would expect if you don't have
enough memory, and start using a lot of swap space (some ways of loading
might initially load it as double precision, and need twice the memory).

As you mention specifically c++ as your end goal, have a look at CiftiLib,
as it is a c++ library for reading and writing cifti files, and has better
support and features than currently available matlab cifti reading/writing
(for instance, on disk reading/writing (not reading the entire file into
memory first), easy construction and full support of dimension mappings of
all supported types):

https://github.com/Washington-University/CiftiLib

Tim