We donĀ¹t recommend using the ft_ tools with MRI data.  Instead use
ciftiopen/ciftisave/ciftisavereset:

https://wiki.humanconnectome.org/display/PublicData/HCP+Users+FAQ item 2B

As for your other question, the vertex indices have neuroanatomical
correspondence across subjects, but that often does not equate to having
the same 3D coordinates (as volumetric registration is not able to align
cortical areas across subjects).

Peace,

Matt.

On 3/29/17, 8:41 AM, "hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org on behalf of