Well, if they want to get to cifti starting from the volume data, I still
wouldn't suggest -volume-parcel-resampling.  Instead, just use the
subject's subcortical label volume when making the initial flipped or not
flipped cifti files, and use -cifti-resample to get them into a shared
grayordinate space, same as I suggested.

Finally, as for edge effects of parcel-constrained smoothing: yes, I expect
they are noticeable in our 2mm fwhm data, and a smaller amount of extra
smoothing won't make them vanish.

Tim