You can use -cifti-replace-structure with the -volume-all option and a
volume file of zeroes.  If you have a lot of maps (or you want to do
something similar to a long dtseries), you can make a cifti file with 1's
in the surfaces and 0's in voxels, and use -cifti-math to multiply them
together.  For a small dscalar file, I would do it like this:

wb_command -cifti-separate <your-file> COLUMN -volume-all
volspacetemp.nii.gz -crop
wb_command -volume-math '0' zerovol.nii.gz -var x volspacetemp.nii.gz
cp <your-file> data_subcort_zeroed.dscalar.nii
wb_command -cifti-replace-structure data_subcort_zeroed.dscalar.nii COLUMN
-volume-all zerovol.nii.gz -from-cropped

I am curious, why do you want the subcortical data to be zero?  It won't
make the file smaller, and processing commands will still think there is
data there, it won't interact with the surface data regardless of whether
it is zero, and you can choose not to display the subcortical stuff
anyway...

Tim