You can compute the displacement of vertices on the spherical surface by
comparing the registered spheres to the original or MSMSulc spheres.

Peace,

Matt.

From: Timothy Coalson <tsc...@mst.edu<mailto:tsc...@mst.edu>>
Date: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 11:17 PM
To: Aaron C <aaroncr...@outlook.com<mailto:aaroncr...@outlook.com>>
Cc: Matt Glasser <glass...@wustl.edu<mailto:glass...@wustl.edu>>,
"hcp-users@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>"
<hcp-users@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] A question about brain registration matrix

"How much deformation" is a tricky subject, and we may very well mean something
different than you do when you say it.

The short version: surface registration does not cause anatomical deformation.
Any registered, resampled anatomical surface will still line up perfectly with
the volume it started from.  There is nothing like a volumetric warpfield for
surface-based registration.

However, we do in fact apply the FNIRT volumetric MNI registration warp to our
surfaces, and we provide these surfaces in both subject structural space (in
the T1w folder), and in MNI space (in the MNINonLinear folder).  Because this
is a volumetric registration, it does in fact cause anatomical deformation.
You can measure this volume-registration-induced distortion on the surface, if
you want, by comparing the anatomical surfaces (midthickness, etc) from the T1w
and MNINonLinear folders to each other.

The "spherical deformation" that we regularize during the surface registration
(and which is captured by the MSMAll sphere surfaces) is really an artifact of
keeping the registration from doing something silly - specifically, it is to
prevent the registration from creating drastic changes in triangle density of
the surface (which would lead to having too few datapoints in some locations,
causing loss of detail).  It is only a modification of the spherical
coordinates, which are conceptually unrelated to the anatomical coordinates -
the only purpose of the spherical coordinates is to make the surface-based
registration easier to do.

Tim

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 10:49 PM, Aaron C