To expand on the smoothing issue a bit, even 4mm FWHM spatial smoothing in
the volume causes substantial signal mixing between areas on opposite sides
of sulci, which sounds like a particularly bad idea for ICA.  As I
understand it, group ICA shouldn't care much about spatial noise,
especially when you have a lot of subjects.

However, group ICA does care about alignment, that is, the same element
(voxel or vertex) having the same functional meaning across subjects -
volume alignment is not good at this for most of the human cortex (largely
due to folding variability across subjects), which is why we strongly
recommend using surface registration and analysis for cortex.

Tim