The -cifti-convert command is not the correct command to map volume-based
data onto surfaces, its purpose is to take existing cifti data and convert
it to formats that can be used to a limited extent in utilities that don't
read cifti files (for instance, making what we have referred to as "fake
nifti" files).

The central command needed to do what you want is
-volume-to-surface-mapping, but you need to have generated individual
subject surfaces and ensured they are properly aligned to your volume files
before you can use it for its intended purpose.

Tim