Hi all,

thanks for the comments! The idea to smooth the data was based on others
papers which did not use HCP data though. I always thought that smoothing
is a "good idea" for group studies in order to account for the
between-subject variability in the ROI based on the different brain sizes
and shapes.

The analysis I want to run uses the data from ROIs to calculate
connectivity between ROIs (DCM). The ROI extraction in SPM uses the
component that explains the most variance in a PCA. The extraction runs on
the smoothed volumes. The ROIs are based on some probabilistic atlas (e.g.
anatomy toolbox). I have about 300 subjects.

I thought the results will be relatively robust for different levels of
smoothing. But this is not the case. Since the CSF and WM signals have been
regressed out, I did not assume that this will have influence.

The unsmoothed results look much better though.

greetings

David