The 1.0 and 3.0 versions on github are nearly identical, that was just a
naming issue.

The version in FSL may be based on version 2, and is missing a library
needed for HOCR, so some options in v3 aren't available.  You should be
able to use the fsl versions of the executables other than msm (so,
msmresample, etc) with any version of msm.

I'm not sure about your other questions.

Tim