Quincey Koziol wrote onĀ 2011-03-09:
> Hi Andy,
>
> On Mar 8, 2011, at 7:09 PM, Salnikov, Andrei A. wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to understand a performance hit that we are
>> experiencing trying to examine the tree structure of
>> our HDF5 files. Originally we observed problem when
>> using h5py but it could be reproduced even with h5ls
>> command. I tracked it down to a significant delay in
>> the call to H5Oget_info_by_name function on a dataset
>> with a large number of chunks. It looks like when the
>> number of chunks in dataset increases (in our case
>> we have 1-10k chunks) the performance of the H5Oget_info
>> drops significantly. Looking at the IO statistics it
>> seems that HDF5 library does very many small IO operations
>> in this case. There is very little CPU spent, but real
>> time is measured in tens of seconds.
>>
>> Is this an expected behavior? Can it be improved somehow
>> without reducing the number of chunks drastically?
>>
>> One more comment about H5Oget_info - it returns a
>> structure that contains a lot of different info.
>> In the case of h5py code the only member of the
>> structure used in the code is "type". could there be
>> more efficient way to determine just the type of the
>> object without requiring every other piece of info?
>
>       Ah, yes, we've noticed that in some of the applications we've worked
> with also (including some of the main HDF5 tools, like h5ls, etc).  As you
> say, H5Oget_info() is fairly heavyweight, getting all sorts of information
> about each object.  I do think a lighter-weight call like "H5Oget_type"
> would be useful.  Is there other "lightweight" information that people
> would like back for each object?
>
>       Quincey

Hi Quincey,

thanks for confirming this. Could you explain briefly what is
going on there and which part of H5O_info_t needs so many reads?
Maybe removing heavyweight info from H5O_info_t is the right
thing to do, or creating another version of H5O_info_t structure
which has only light-weight info?

Cheers,
Andy