Hi Eelco,
        We are working on two features for the 1.10.0 release that should
address the file corruption issue:  journaling changes to the HDF5 file, and
writing updates to the file in a specific order that prevents the file from
being corrupted if the application crashes.  Journaling has no space overhead,
but may perform slower, while ordered updates should perform as normal for
HDF5, but will have some space overhead.  We are trying to get both of these
features ready by around November.

        Quincey