Hi, I'm a newb at writing HDF files but have a small bit (really small) of
experience reading HDF files in IDL and MATLAB.

I have an HDF file that contains some data.  I need to create a new file
that has different data but has the same "structure" as the extant file.
By "structure", I mean vgroups, vdata, etc.  Ideally I'd be creating this
new file using MATLAB.  It needs to be the same so a bit of 3rd party
software that I don't have the source for can process the file properly.

Is there a tool that will describe, in a fair bit of detail, the contents
of the extant file such that I can figure out what calls I need to make to
write the new one?

Thanks.
Bruce