I think this is a great work, Todd.
And I think we should not merge it into trunk or other branches.
As I suggested earlier on this list I think this should be spinned off
as a separate project or a subproject.

- The code is well detached as a self contained package.
- It is a logically stand-alone project that can be replaced by other
technologies.
- If it is a separate project then there is no need to port it to
other versions. You can package it as a dependent jar.
- Finally, it will be a good precedent of spinning new projects out of
HDFS rather than bringing everything under HDFS umbrella.

Todd, I had a feeling you were in favor of this direction?

Thanks,
--Konstantin