On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Joseph Kniest <scp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, not sure if anyone has gotten my previous emails, but I would like to
> contribute to HDFS. I was wondering if anyone can answer two questions:
>
> What is a good JIRA to work on to get familiar with the HDFS source?

Look for JIRAs with the "newbie" label:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20newbie%20AND%20project%20%3D%20HDFS
Not all good newbie JIRAs are labelled, but a lot of good ones are.

> How do
> I claim the issue so I know I'm not working on the same thing someone else
> is?

For your first jira, just comment on the issue. You'll need to be
marked as a "contributor" before issues can be assigned to you, and
the best way to get a issue assigned is to post a patch.

> What are the steps I need to take to perform a push once I have made my
> changes/fixes?

First, read http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute for how to
generate a correct patch file.

Look through the SVN (or git) history and find a few JIRAs that were
recently committed, then go read those JIRAs to see how our process
works from a social point of view. It's helpful to click on the "All"
tab under the Activity section of the JIRA to see patch activity in
addition to the comments.

Once you have a patch and it fixes the issue and passes local tests,
upload it to the JIRA using "More Actions" -> "Attach Files", and then
click the "Submit Patch" button.

Once your patch passes the automatic tests and has gotten reviewed and
you've addressed any review feedback, a committer will apply it to the
SVN tree. Don't expect to get commit access quickly; it takes a
sustained effort with nontrivial contributions before you can even
consider getting direct commit access. But posting patches to JIRA is
easy and works pretty well.

Thanks for being interested in HDFS development!

-andy