I agree that this is an important change. However, 2.2.0 GA is getting
ready to rollout in weeks. I am concerned that these changes will add not
only incompatible changes late in the game, but also possibly instability.
Java API incompatibility is some thing we have avoided for the most part
and I am concerned that this is adding such incompatibility in FileSystem
APIs. We should find work arounds by adding possibly newer APIs and leaving
existing APIs as is. If this can be done, my vote is to enable this feature
in 2.3. Even if it cannot be done, I am concerned that this is coming quite
late and we should see if could allow some incompatible changes into 2.3
for this feature.

--
http://hortonworks.com/download/

--