If 2.4 is released in January, I think it's very unlikely to include
symlinks.  There is still a lot of work to be done before they're
usable.  You can look at the progress on HADOOP-10019.  For some of
the subtasks, it will require some community discussion before any
code can be written.

For better or worse, symlinks have not been requested by users as
often as features like NFS export, HDFS caching, ACLs, etc, so effort
has been focused on those instead.

For now, I think we should put the symlinks-disabling patches
(HADOOP-10020, etc) into branch-2, so that they will be part of the
next releases without additional effort.

I would like to see HDFS caching make it into 2.4.  The APIs and
implementation are beginning to stabilize, and around January it
should be ok to backport to a stable branch.

best,
Colin