Guava did make the lives of Hadoop development easier in many cases -- What
I've been consistently hearing is that the version of Guava used is Hadoop
is so old that it starts to hurt the application developers.

I appreciate the value of Guava -- things like CacheMap are fairly
difficult to implement efficiently and correctly.

I think that creating separate client libraries for Hadoop can largely
alleviate the problem -- obviously these libraries cannot use Guava, but it
allows us to use Guava's help on the server side. For example, HDFS-6200 is
one of the initiatives.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
Haohui

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Arun C Murthy <a...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> … has been a constant pain w.r.t compatibility etc.
>
> Should we consider adopting a policy to not use guava in Common/HDFS/YARN?
>
> MR doesn't matter too much since it's application-side issue, it does hurt
> end-users though since they still might want a newer guava-version, but at
> least they can modify MR.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> thanks,
> Arun