I strongly suggest benchmarking a modern version of Hadoop rather than
Hadoop 1.x.  The native CRC stuff from HDFS-3528 greatly reduces CPU
consumption on the read path.  I wrote about some other read path
optimizations in Hadoop 2.x here:
http://www.club.cc.cmu.edu/~cmccabe/d/2014.04_ApacheCon_HDFS_read_path_optimization_presentation.pdf
. I agree with Andrew that Teragen and Teravalidate are probably a
better choice for you.  Look for the bottleneck in your system.

best,
Colin