Hi,

The recent changes on moving to Java 7 triggers a bug in findbug (
http://sourceforge.net/p/findbugs/bugs/918), which causes all pre-commit
runs (e.g., HADOOP-11287) to fail.

The current version of findbugs (1.3.9) used by Hadoop is released in 2009.
Given that:

(1) The current bug that we hit are fixed by a later version of findbug.
(2) A newer findbug (3.0.0) is required to analyze Hadoop that is compiled
against Java 8.
(3) Newer findbugs are capable of catching more bugs. :-)

Is it a good time to consider upgrading findbugs, which gives us better
tools on ensuring the quality of the code case?

I ran findbugs 3.0.0 against trunk today. It reported 111 warnings for
hadoop-common, 44 for HDFS and 40+ for YARN. Many of them are possible
NPEs, resource leaks, and ignored exception which are indeed bugs and are
worthwhile to address.

However, one issue that needs to be considered is that how to deal with the
additional warnings reported by the newer findbugs without breaking the
Jenkins pre-commit runs.

Personally I can see three possible routes if we decide to upgrade findbugs:

(1) Fix all warnings before upgrading to newer findbugs.
(2) Add all new warnings to the exclude list and fix them slowly.
(3) Update test-patch.sh to make sure that new code won't introduce any new
findbugs warnings.

I proposed upgrading to findbugs 2.0.2 and fixing new warnings in
HADOOP-10476, which could be dated backed to April, 2014. I volunteer to
accelerate the effort if it is required.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Haohui

--