TestDataNodeHotSwapVolumes, TestDataNodeVolumeFailure,
TestDataNodeVolumeFailureReporting, and
TestDataNodeVolumeFailureToleration all remove executable permissions from
directories like the one Colin mentioned to simulate disk failures at data
nodes.  I reviewed the code for all of those, and they all appear to be
doing the necessary work to restore executable permissions at the end of
the test.  The only recent uncommitted patch I¹ve seen that makes changes
in these test suites is HDFS-7722.  That patch still looks fine though.  I
don¹t know if there are other uncommitted patches that changed these test
suites.

I suppose it¹s also possible that the JUnit process unexpectedly died
after removing executable permissions but before restoring them.  That
always would have been a weakness of these test suites, regardless of any
recent changes.

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/