Moving conversation to yarn-dev. BCC’ed hdfs-dev.

YARN actually does not do anything except give back containers based on what an
application requested for. It is up to each and every application to first
figure out where the data is located and then make optimal choices based on
which node to prefer for scheduling. I believe MapReduce has some changes to
use potentially memory-based block locations over disk-based ones but I don’t
believe there is any significant work in any YARN application that makes
cost-based decisions based on the various storage types of where blocks are
available.

thanks
— Hitesh