Hi,

While welcoming the push for alphas, i think we should set some exit criteria.
Otherwise, I can imagine us doing 3/4/5 alpha releases, and then getting
restless about calling it beta or GA of whatever. Essentially, instead of
today’s questions as to "why we aren’t doing a 3.x release", we’d be fielding a
"why is 3.x still considered alpha” question. This happened with 2.x alpha
releases too and it wasn’t fun.

On an unrelated note, offline I was pitching to a bunch of contributors another
idea to deal with rotting trunk post 3.x: *Make 3.x releases off of trunk
directly*.

What this gains us is that
 - Trunk is always nearly stable or nearly ready for releases
 - We no longer have some code lying around in some branch (today’s trunk) that
is not releasable because it gets mixed with other undesirable and incompatible
changes.
 - This needs to be coupled with more discipline on individual features -
medium to to large features are always worked upon in branches and get merged
into trunk (and a nearing release!) when they are ready
 - All incompatible changes go into some sort of a trunk-incompat branch and
stay there till we accumulate enough of those to warrant another major release.

Thoughts?

+Vinod