I'm generally supportive of a merge - unless anyone brings up new concerns,
I've been happy with the design, implementation and discussion and it seems
to be at a good checkpoint.

When you get to writing the site documentation - one thing in particular I
think should be called out early in the description of the feature is the
need to create a read-only namespace specific to the remote storage. I can
see this getting merged and more than a few people wanting to know how they
can dynamically mount their remote storage on their existing HDFS cluster
today :)