+1
I have been reviewing some of the latest patches.
I skimmed through the patch in HDFS-9806 and it looks good.

In addition, we have ported it to 2.7.1 (minor differences to what would be
merged).
It has been running in our test cluster for a couple months.
All the issues we have been finding are already resolved and committed to
the feature branch.
After this, we have recently deployed to three production clusters and is
working as expected so far.

Thanks for the work Virajith and Chris; I'd like to see this merged into
trunk to make the maintainability easier.