[Cross-posting, as this affects the rest of the project]

Hey folks-

As discussed last month [1], the HDFS build hasn't been healthy
recently. We're dedicating a bug bash to stabilize the build and
address some longstanding issues with our unit tests. We rely on our
CI infrastructure to keep the project releasable, and in its current
state, it's not protecting us from regressions. While we probably
won't achieve all our goals in this session, we can develop the
conditions for reestablishing a firm foundation.

If you're new to the project, please consider attending and
contributing. Committers often prioritize large or complicated
patches, and the issues that make the project livable don't get enough
attention. A bug bash is a great opportunity to pull reviewers'
collars, and fix the annoyances that slow us all down.

If you're a committer, please join us! While some of the proposed
repairs are rote, many unit tests rely on implementation details and
non-obvious invariants. We need domain experts to help untangle
complex dependencies and to prevent breakage of deliberate, but
counter-intuitive code.

We're collecting tasks in wiki [2] and will include a dial-in option
for folks who aren't local.

Meetup has started charging for creating new events, so we'll have to
find another way to get an approximate headcount and publish the
address. Please ping me if you have a preferred alternative. -C

[1]: https://s.apache.org/nEoQ
[2]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=75965105