Sorry for jumping in late into the fray of this discussion.

It seems Ozone is a large feature. I appreciate the development effort and
the desire to get this into the hands of users.
I understand the need to iterate quickly and to reduce overhead for
development.
I also agree that Hadoop can benefit from a quicker release cycle. For our
part, this is a challenge as we have a large installation with multiple
clusters and thousands of users. It is a constant balance between jumping
to the newest release and the cost of this integration and test at our
scale, especially when things aren't backwards compatible. We try to be
good citizens and upstream our changes and contribute back.

The point was made that splitting the projects such as common and Yarn
didn't work and had to be reverted. That was painful and a lot of work for
those involved for sure. This project may be slightly different in that
hadoop-common, Yarn and HDFS made for one consistent whole. One couldn't
run a project without the other.

Having a separate block management layer with possibly multiple block
implementation as pluggable under the covers would be a good future
development for HDFS. Some users would choose Ozone as that layer, some
might use S3, others GCS, or Azure, or something else.
If the argument is made that nobody will be able to run Hadoop as a
consistent stack without Ozone, then that would be a strong case to keep
things in the same repo.

Obviously when people do want to use Ozone, then having it in the same repo
is easier. The flipside is that, separate top-level project in the same
repo or not, it adds to the Hadoop releases. If there is a change in Ozone
and a new release needed, it would have to wait for a Hadoop release. Ditto
if there is a Hadoop release and there is an issue with Ozone. The case
that one could turn off Ozone through a Maven profile works only to some
extend.
If we have done a 3.x release with Ozone in it, would it make sense to do a
3.y release with y>x without Ozone in it? That would be weird.

This does sound like a Hadoop 4 feature. Compatibility with lots of new
features in Hadoop 3 need to be worked out. We're still working on jumping
to a Hadoop 2.9 release and then working on getting a step-store release to
3.0 to bridge compatibility issues. I'm afraid that adding a very large new
feature into trunk now, essentially makes going to Hadoop 3 not viable for
quite a while. That would be a bummer for all the feature work that has
gone into Hadoop 3. Encryption and erasure encoding are very appealing
features, especially in light of meeting GDPR requirements.

I'd argue to pull out those pieces that make sense in Hadoop 3, merge those
in and keep the rest in a separate project. Iterate quickly in that
separate project, you can have a separate set of committers, you can do
separate release cycle. If that develops Ozone into _the_ new block layer
for all use cases (even when people want to give up on encryption, erasure
encoding, or feature parity is reached) then we can jump of that bridge
when we reach it. I think adding a very large chunk of code that relatively
few people in the community are familiar with isn't necessarily going to
help Hadoop at this time.

Cheers,

Joep