+1

If this VOTE is to gather consensus about establishing a new subproject,
let's definitely proceed with that.

It sounds like we're already discussing changes to the details of how the
project will be run, and releasing from the branch vs. maven profile is not
a blocker for me. I raised it since I thought it would reduce the amount of
additional infra/build work, but it's fine if the preference is to just do
the work. Sorry if my earlier reply sounded like bikeshedding.

Cheers,
Andrew