It's certainly possible to add a flag to disable the libhdfs++ build, I
opened HDFS-13362 for that.  I can put up an initial patch that includes a
flag for cmake so that you could do -Dnative_cmake_args="skipLibhdfspp" or
something similar.  I don't have a good understanding of maven and antrun
so if someone wants to help plumb a maven flag to the cmake flag I'd
appreciate it.

Is it common to do completely clean builds for interactive use?
Incremental rebuilds of libhdfs++ shouldn't be adding more than a few
seconds to the process.