During the Wednesday's meetup, we discussed the plan for the "bridge
release" branch-2.10.

A smooth upgrade path (that is, rolling upgrade) from 2.10 to Hadoop 3 was
called out as the most critical release criteria.

I am wondering if Tomcat (as well as other dependency upgrade) upgrade
should be considered as well?

We migrated from Tomcat to Jetty in Hadoop3, because Tomcat 6 went EOL in
2016. But we did not realize three years after Tomcat 6's EOL, a majority
of Hadoop users are still in Hadoop 2, and it looks like Hadoop 2 will stay
alive for another few years.

Backporting Jetty to Hadoop2 is probably too big of an imcompatibility. How
about migrating to Tomcat9?

FWIW, Tomcat 6 EOL along is big enough a reason why you should move up to
Hadoop 3. :)