Hi,

Github UI (ui!) helps to merge Pull Requests to the proposed branch.
There are three different ways to do it [1]:

1. Keep all the different commits from the PR branch and create one
additional merge commit ("Create a merge commit")

2. Squash all the commits and commit the change as one patch ("Squash
and merge")

3. Keep all the different commits from the PR branch but rebase, merge
commit will be missing ("Rebase and merge")

As only the option 2 is compatible with the existing development
practices of Hadoop (1 issue = 1 patch = 1 commit), I call for a lazy
consensus vote: If no objections withing 3 days, I will ask INFRA to
disable the options 1 and 3 to make the process less error prone.

Please let me know, what do you think,

Thanks a lot
Marton

ps: Personally I prefer to merge from local as it enables to sign the
commits and do a final build before push. But this is a different story,
this proposal is only about removing the options which are obviously
risky...

ps2: You can always do any kind of merge / commits from CLI, for example
to merge a feature branch together with keeping the history.

[1]:
https://help.github.com/en/articles/merging-a-pull-request#merging-a-pull-request-on-github