The last 2.8 release (2.8.4) was made in the last May, more than a year
ago. https://hadoop.apache.org/old/releases.html

How do folks feel about the fate of branch-2.8? During the last community
meetup in June, it sounds like most users are still on 2.8 or even 2.7, so
I don't think we want to abandon 2.8 just yet.

I would personally want to urge folks to move up to 3.x, so I can stop
cherrypicking stuff all the way down into 2.8. But it's not up to me along
to decide :)

How do people feel about having another 2.8 release or two? I am not saying
I want to drive it, but I want to raise the awareness that folks are still
on 2.8 and there's not been an update for over a year.

Thoughts?