This is starting to diverge from the original topic :)

But I would like to say
(1) If we are treating branch-2/2.0 as the final, last 2.x release, we
should be proactive in updating dependencies. I did a quick search and
found a lot of dependencies in branch-2 are very old, and some are even
susceptible to known vulnerabilities. We did a lot in 3.x, some are even
backward-incompatible. But I guess we didn't imagine people are still on
2.x a few years after 3.x went GA.

(2) I wrote a summary for the last Hadoop Contributor Meetup, and
circulated it internally. It wasn't meant for public consumption, but if it
helps, I can publish it here in the mailing list.
We will also have an upcoming blog post on the meetup at Cloudera's
website, too.